Wednesday 3 December 2008

Blog post no. 5. Question5. What should society do for “uncivilized cultures” like the Sawi?



I think that culture should be left as it is as culture is delicate and can change easily. Even though I think that culture should be left just as it is and not interfered with. People do need help once in a while as that is a normal human need. However, they should be helped only when they ask for it.
Mr. Rader mentioned a tribe that was dying out and was provided with an apartment and a school: an area to live so that they did not die out. However, their culture was totally changed. I did not like that as whether their culture was worth keeping or not according to the majority, it should have been kept. If I was in the place of the NGO’s (and I had as much money) I would have given them an area of land for themselves and made sure that no one interfered with them. Seen to it that they are helped out with basic needs so that they did not have to suffer to get them anymore and see that no one interfered with them. The tribe had to have had a strong view and culture to last so long and the only reason they were dying out is not because of their culture: but because the outside world was encroaching on their culture and their way of living and affected them in a negative way. For example, we live as we are living what if outside alien beings attacked us and we were an endangered suffering species. Would it be considered that the way we were living was wrong because it was coming to an end we were not prepared for an attack from the outside world? No, as we had survived for so long and the reason we were in danger was not our fault. In the same way I think that they should have been given a chance and been left alone to live their life the way they wanted to live it.
As for the Sawi, I think that it was good that they were found out and even though cannibalism was a great part of their culture and removing that aspect would get rid or a lot of their culture it was worth it. Cannibalism is wrong not only religiously but morally and goes against all normal human ethics. Other than that they should have been left alone. So what if they were not informed on the world outside slowly they would have been. I think that missionaries getting there was like how oil diggers go to get as much as much oil they can get so that they can get money, just instead of the oil the missionaries were taking away the tribal peoples view, their way of thinking and their faith and belief in the things they believed in. Sure! The word of God needs to be spread around and needs to live on but the Sawi knew no other religion and no other different way, besides their own and the newly introduced one. So it was sort of like the ‘first come first serve’ technique. However, they can change their view if they do find something that they prefer as the world has been shown to them. Everyone considers their way the right one and even though I do believe in Jesus Christ I hate it when people try to make me change my belief of modify it according to theirs.
In the Bible we are told not to judge others. Hence, what right do we have to judge who is uncivilized and who is uncivilized? None what so ever! People do not have the right do decide if other people are civilized or not hence we just have to leave it up to them to figure it out. Cultures vary in one you might is civilized in another you may not. There is nothing that can be done to change that unless you keep changing your ways, like a chameleon changes its colour. Since, that is not easy and it is not natural you just live as you are. Hence, you must give others the basic human right to have their own views and do the same: live as they want to, though that is how it should be as long as it is not harmful and it respects the human rights of others.
Since everyone has different view and ideas it is not possible to even ask what society should do for “uncivilized cultures” as we cannot really be one society with totally different views. We also cannot judge which way would be the right one. I conclude that ‘society’ should just help out when asked to and otherwise they should just stay away.

5 comments:

Jean Eun Jin Lee. said...

I agree with you that "...they[primitives] should be helped only when they ask for it." I believe that if one has passion for his culture then , he should do something to keep in rolling. As for the Sawis.. I guess they are special because they are living in the 20th century where cannibalism is illegal.
Insigntful post^^

Rebecca Cole-Walker said...

Hey Dankia =)
Your first sentence really stood out to me, "I think that culture should be left as it is as culture is delicate and can change easily." I found that it was a really strong way to present your ideas through this post. I also found it interesting to read your thoughts about the African tribe that Mr. Rader talked about during our class discussion.. I agree with you but it is also so hard to make decisions like: wether to help a dying of tribe, go into untouched areas like the Sawi tribe, and above all preach the gospel. Anyways..
I liked reading your post.. it was very interesting and insightful XD

Lucia Jeong said...

Thoughtful post!I found my self agreeing with your opinions as I read on. Culture is quite delicate and I agree that we have no right to interfere with their culture unless they ask for it. When Mr. Radar mentioned a tribe that was dying out due to the encroaching civilization, I felt that we should not interfere with them, nor try to change their culture. Since we are not to judge other cultures or civilizaition, we should not treat primitives condescendingly. Instead, we should just respect them the way they are.
I look forward to your future posts:D

Mr. Rader said...

Danika,
"The tribe had to have had a strong view and culture to last so long and the only reason they were dying out is not because of their culture: but because the outside world was encroaching on their culture and their way of living and affected them in a negative way."

The first sentence I disagree with because I think people are extremely resilient, extremely, and I'm not sure if it has anything to do with their view and their culture as to why they survived for as long as they did. Sure the tribe was skilled in hunting and gathering, therefore surviving, but can these survival skills be attributed to their culture or simply humans meeting their most basic needs? So I think the argument that this tribe was surviving based on their strong culture is not necessarily true.

Another point I'd like to make, and I'd like to hear your final view when you've finished the book, is what the ultimate affects of the gospel on the Sawi were. In the end was their culture destroyed or were they set free from spiritual oppression? Don Richardson's point about eternity in their hearts, is that their spirituality that they have had since the beginning of time was placed there by God in order to speak to the future coming of the Gospel. I would encourage you to read "Eternity in their Hearts" if you have not already. I think finishing the story and realizing that not ALL the Sawi became christians and that many of them tried to maintain their culture in isolation, holding to their old beleifs, and to see what happened to those people who tried to fight the changes that were inevitable. In fact, the ones who had the gospel and were being equipped for the changing world and the encroaching culture were able to face the change head on and in the end were less exploited and I think their culture was more preserved than those who were not prepared for the change and were wiped out...

I like reading your blogs. I think you are really wrestling with these ideas and you aren't willing to accept a narrow minded perspective, but are trying to see things from both sides. I appreciate that. Continue on Danika!

Pritha said...

Danikaz!

I think this is one of ur best posts so far! I thought that you used relevent evidence when required throughout your writing. "In the Bible we are told not to judge others. Hence, what right do we have to judge who is uncivilized and who is uncivilized?" was quite impactful.
I agree with you on this "Cannibalism is wrong not only religiously but morally and goes against all normal human ethics. Other than that they should have been left alone." I also think that a culture should be left alone as well, but can be modified for the better! Like your points, they are very mature. Lastly, I thought that you approached a wise conclusion. "I conclude that ‘society’ should just help out when asked to and otherwise they should just stay away." I agree! Overall this was a storng post filled with insightful thoughs. Very impressive.
-Pritha